this year, in addition to our traditional xmas calendar we added a beautiful idea of Kindness Elves, inspired by Ana from Imagination tree :) thank you for this lovely idea… we couldn’t even wait until xmas, so we began earlier. our first wrapped presents are already on the way to children’s homes in Latvia :) this is a great way to show love, kindness and gratitude to kids. we spent a wonderful evening preparing presents and talking about sharing, giving and spreading love to people around us. hug your family, send a letter to your friend and give a smile to a stranger on the street…just GIVE!!!
here comes our 24 magical sacks with letters from kindness elves and ides for our xmas time:) enjoy!
1. create a new tradition for Christmas with the Kindness Elves.
As next of #kindnesselves activity will be DIY present for children in India. In this idea we will support Yoga Gives Back organization and will send xmas presents to my yoga teacher from Yogaplace, who is already months in India and share love with children there.
2. make your own gingerbread dough. this year we choose vegan receipe from minimalistbaker:
3. craft your advent wreath. we usually use natural materials… some leftovers from summer and autumn (nuts, dry flowers, berries, etc.) and we also like to add some gingerbread cookies.
4. make your own table decors for xmas dinner.
we will make napkin rings with recycled material: toilet paper rolls/ papaer towel rolls covered with ribbon lace http://www.pinterest.com/pin/513058582523804212/
5. make a meal and invite some friends.
as we are living in Netherlands, we are lucky to have two Santa Clauses. Ziemassvētku vecītis (in latvian Santa Claus) is coming on 24th of december from North Pole and another one is dutch Sinterklaas (also known as Saint Nicholas), who came this year on 15.november and stays until 5.december – Dag Sinterklaas. We are making dinner for our friend Ana from Portugal :)
more about who is this old man with white long beard coming from Spain with boat and a lot of helpers -Zwarte pieten – you can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
6.diy xmas tree decors with clay
7.light up second candle and go for a family walk in the neighbourhood xmas market.
8. make or buy a bird feeder and start to feed birds in the garden each day until spring is coming.
There are a lot of great DIY bird feeders using pine cones and other ingredients on Pinterest, this yea we will make orange bird feder:
9.it’s time to make some homemade cards.
10. snow bird crafts.
11. DIY xmas wrapping paper – we go for polka dot: http://squirrellyminds.com/2012/12/07/diy-polka-dot-wrapping-paper/
12. snowflake crafts. we already made paper snowflakes for lorena’s “frozen birthday party”:
now will try to make glue gun window snowlakes:
13. make an easy table cards for your special xmas dinner – cones with name tags
14. go for a xmas trip to another city, search for xmas lights, hot chocaaaalate and pancakes. we are going for family trip to Cape Verde, so next ideas we will fulfill there. xmas movie on the way….
15. xmas peanut crafts
16. xmas tree preparation… we wont be home in christmas time but i still think it would be great to have xmas tree in our holiday house, found couple great take away ideas:
17. surprise night expedition… Here are kidsactivitiesblog idea: Have Daddy tuck the kids into bed while you (sneakily) prepare hot cocoa in travel mugs. Run the mugs and cozy blankets out to the car and then dash up the stairs to the kids’ rooms. Open their doors and shout Surprise!!!! Get them out of bed and go on a hunt around your neighborhood (in jammies!) for the best and brightest Christmas light displays. The kids will love the element of surprise and the hot cocoa!
As we will be in Cabo Verde, we will attend Turtle SOS organization for turtle saving activity. #kindnesselves
18. give love and donate. we found organization in Sal (Capo Verde), where we will bring girls drawings, school items for children in Africa. Teach your kids the true spirit of giving. #kindnesselves
19. make a family handprint christmas tree and send it to grandparents http://www.mamasmiles.com/fun-christmas-craft-family-handprint-christmas-tree/
20. search for xmas lights in yours or neighbourhood city.
21. read xmas story
22. learn about xmas traditions in your country or if you already know them all, search for different countries traditions. we will learn about Caboverdian traditions, interesting… do they have any?
23. make a list of everything you’re grateful for and stick it onto a happy/ thankful xmas tree or put it into the gratetude jar, which you can fulfil during the next year. hmmm…great idea also for New years eve…
24. christmas morning breakfast – lazy morning in pj, give out free hugs to all friends and family today! Hugs release endorphins and make everyone feel happy. #kindnesselves
Have a joyful Christmas season planing!!!