Ho ho ho hoooo…
it’s time for Christmas and here comes our annual advent calendar of winter activities:
1.Its time to let winter in our home – first xmas decorations. It wasn’t easy to stop my girls to do it straight away after Lo’s birthday on 17th November. Lights, snowflakes, Christmas box stories, flavour of summer herb tea wrapped into the winter orange coat reminds me about 1 December.
2.Winter science – fizzy xmas stars
3. One of our advent craft is wrapping paper, this year our theme is fir and star. For this we will use triangle shaped stamps made out of potato:
4.December – It’s a Sinterklaas dinner time. In the Netherlands Xmas comes earlier, so we gonna celebrate it with creating winter wreath. We are kind of traditional in this. We mostly using wicker and dried fruits, this year we will also use eucalyptus leaves. Here are more original idea of making wreath with using wool:
5. Card crafting afternoon.
6. Diy your own xmas angel. I just love this idea. Simply beautiful.
7. Let’s craft some fun…
8. Planing some friends on the weekend, new table décor would be just great. What about candle holders?
9. Kindness elfs will make some gingerbread cookies for special people.
10. I like an idea of ice skating and ice skating in the Winter Station sounds even more attractive. What about you, do you like ice skating?
In 1954, the Spoorwegmuseum (Railway Museum) found a permanent home at the Maliebaan Station, one of the stations just outside the historic city center of Utrecht. In recent years, the station and museum have undergone extensive renovations to restore it to its 19th-century appearance. The grand station hall and the waiting rooms, including the Royal Waiting Room, remind one of an elegant era of steam, wood and shining brass. Every winter the museum adds to its charm with the addition of the Winter Station. Ice skating is a popular Dutch winter pastime, but the weather doesn’t always cooperate. Fortunately, the Winter Station transforms part of the museum into an indoor ice skating rink, surrounded by old trains, a carousel and a festive winter atmosphere. Visitors can even roast marshmallows over open fires outdoors.
11. Invite a friend for a dinner ☺ Candles, comfort food, hoodie and oma’s knitted socks… Sounds like a big winter hug,isn’t it? That’s the one reason I like winter.
12. It’s Saturday… xmas market could be an idea :)
13. Light up second candle and visit neighbourhood city… More lights…
14. Kindness elfs – Music for soul. Search for xmas music, there must be some in your or neighbour town.
We are having Christmas Charity concert in the Church in the city of Hague. And if you are near by, please come and join us:
15. What about your made present for friends and grandparents… We gonna make lavender body butter to treat winter cold. Here are some ideas:
16. Home made winter treat … when it comes to the winter holidays, the true Dutch passion lies with oliebollen (fried dough balls) and poffertjes (mini pancakes). Stalls, converted trucks, and pop-up buildings begin appearing in Dutch cities across the country in this season ☺
We call them happy balls, we know they are not so healthy but they make you smile… and it counts, right… Family movie and oliebollen (in Latvia we have something simmilar called „ Žagariņi“) is just perfect happy couple.
Recipe of happy Dutch balls:
17. Winter theater or ballet with classic Christmas story? Last year girls first time went to real classic ballet, they loved it so much, that we made it as our family tradition – at least once a year to join the Ballet or Opera. This year we are lucky to have Nut Cracker in the neigbour town, Amsterdam. mmm… brings me back to the memory lane.
Im sure they gonna love it… as they love to watch it on youtube and ask to repeat it not just once.
18.Kindness elfs will make Xmas for birds :) Let’s make it together! Here are some nice ideas how to make bird feeders:
19. Dream comes true – This day is about little wishes, little ideas, which girls would love to alive and I will be the fairy:)
20. Lighting up the third candle and exploring Lights in the city…
I found this one as an interesting project:
TheTrajectum Lumen is a series of light art installations throughout the city, ranging from quickly changing patterns illuminating a small opening off the Drift canal to the illusory spill of light onto the ground from the Janskerk (St. John’s Church). The lights go on at dusk and stay on until midnight, and anyone can follow the map or app to see them on their own.
The Dom Tower also lights up each evening as part of the Trajectum Lumendisplay, but this winter, it will also be part of the Night of Light at the Dom, taking place November 15th and December 20th. This spectacular event is a large party with DJs and musicians performing at the base of the tower, while light, art, video and graphics are beamed onto the walls of the tower.
21. Twinkle, twinkle little star…DIY Fairy shoes for festive nights.
22.Make your own Xmas story
Some ideas and templates for window decorations:
Make your own Xmas story Templates for window decorations:
23. Sweet treat for xmas eve…
24. Let it snow on xmas eve:) Merry, merry Christmas!!!